Thursday, October 16, 2008

To get your perception right..

Yesterday, I bumped into my x-colleague from my first company. We talk about life and continue to our current job

David: Where do you work now?

Me: F-Secure, You heard about this company before?

David: Yeah..yeah. It's antivirus company rite? To me it's quite an interesting company to work with.

Me: Yeah, the technology that you have to learn. You have to catch up with all those virus writers… blab la bla (Coz that shows how good is your product, if our product can't detect the virus and our competitor can. Of course, tak de bisnes la kan)

David: I was thinking, do you have a team who create the virus. Because I wonder where do you guys get the virus sample (Naahhhh…. I've got this a lot from people when they know that I work with Antivirus Company)

And to answer everyone's curiosity:

NOPE, we don't create virus. The virus writer did. We just detect it. At least not at my company.

How do we get the sample?

We have a honey pot for virus feed. From there we analyze (reverse engineering involve here) and if it is determine as malicious, we will add the footprint to our database detection.


But I prefer to get this kind of question rather then "F-Secure? Ni company yang jaga parking kereta tu ker?) Believe it or not, I've got that before. Nak gelak pon ada.


4 comments:

me3n said...

i never worked in antivirus company so i've always been wondering, how the heck do you detect/know if the program is a virus? as far as i'm concerned, virus is no much different as program. and most virus are .exe files, kan? (correct me if i'm wrong) What if the antivirus program detects a non-virus program as virus?

Little Things said...

how do we know its a virus? They will reverse engineering a program and analyze what the program does.

If we accidently detects a non-virus program as a virus, User have to let us know, then we can always white listed it (remove it from db)

Hehehe.. So i bet u must be one of those who think that we ourselves create the virus kan :P

Anonymous said...

f-secure ni kira cam pak guard utk pc virus la ek (abis la kene marah dgn azriana sbb panggil dia pak guard) hahahaha

Little Things said...

azah: ada yang nak kena ni!!! :P